Employers Turn to Wellness Programs to Reduce Health Care Costs
Dallas, Texas (WiredPRNews.com) — To combat rising health care costs, many employers have created “wellness programs.” A wellness program promotes good health and encourages employees to live healthy lifestyles. Because employees’ general health affects premium rates, employers hope to motivate employees to get healthy and stay healthy in the hopes that a sound work force will lead to reduced health care costs for employers.
Employers have created wellness programs with diverse options. For example, an employer may offer: (1) annual health assessments; (2) educational programs to address weight control, smoking cessation, or cholesterol reduction; (3) subsidized gym memberships; (4) on-site clinic services; and/or (5) flu shot programs. Wellness program proponents believe that, in addition to reducing health care costs, these programs will decrease disabilities and work-related injuries and increase work performance and employees’ morale.
But risks for employers exist. Opponents question just how far an employer can go towards mandating wellness for its employees. To that end, wellness programs must be carefully crafted to avoid violating state and federal laws, such as those addressing age, disability, and/or genetic information discrimination, privacy rights, or the confidentiality of an employee’s medical information.
To discuss a wellness program’s legality with an employment lawyer or to seek assistance in creating a wellness program, please contact the employment lawyers at Clouse Dunn Khoshbin LLP at email@example.com.No tag for this post. Online Business News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Poor Indoor Air Quality in Schools: Bad for Health, Bad for Learning
- Small Business Expo Coming to Chicago April 24, 2014!
- Smith Plastic Surgery Institute Unveils Redesigned Website
- Boca Raton-Based Advertising Agency to Donate Educational Autism Videos
- VR Business Brokers Opens Houston Office
- Boom times for business owners selling in Houston
- Columbine Label wins prestigious national award for business excellence
- Business for Us Marketing is on the MOVE
- Entry Level Jobs Just Got Easier to Find
- Pedestrian-Vehicle Accidents on Rise in North Texas Area