Illinois Governor, Blagojevich, Makes Surprising Move
Disgraced Governor Rod Blagojevich goes forward with making appointment to fill Barack Obama’s Senate seat.
Wired PR News.com – Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich made a surprising move on Tuesday and appointed someone to fill the Senate seat of President Elect Barack Obama. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), Blagojevich chose Roland Burns, a former state Attorney General in what some describe as a move that put his opponents, who vowed to take measures to prevent Blagojevich’s choice from being sworn in, in a tough position.
If the appointment stands, Burns will become the Senate’s sole black member. The element of race has been said to complicate the matter further, with leaders speaking out on both sides of the issue. Rep. Bobby Rush of Illinois was quoted in the AP report as stating, “There is no rhyme or reason why he should not be seated in the U.S. Senate… I don’t think any U.S. senator … wants to go on record to deny one African-American from being seated in the U.S. Senate.”
Holding an opposing view, Obama is quoted as stating, “Roland Burris is a good man and a fine public servant, but the Senate Democrats made it clear weeks ago that they cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat. I agree with their decision.”
Several have called for the impeachment or resignation of Blagojevich, who has been accused of trying to sell the Illinois Senate seat to the highest bidder.
Erik AbderhaldenTags: appointment, Governor Rod Blagojevich, Illinois, impeachment, Obama, resignation, Roland Burris, US Senate
Online News News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Morocco’s 5th Global Entrepreneurship Summit Wraps up
- King Mohammed VI’s Message At The Opening Session Of The 5th GES 2014
- Kicking-off the Morocco’s fifth Global Entrepreneurship Summit
- King Mohammed VI Holds Phone Call With Turkish President Tayeb Recip Erdogan
- Hallmark Institute of Photography Hosts a Holiday-Themed Open House
- Royal Thai Army Chief Talks About Internal Security Operations in the South
- Royal Thai Army Plans To Re-Organize Pattaya Beach
- Sonoma County Prop 48 No Vote Higher Than State Count
- King Mohammed VI’ s speech to the nation on 39th anniversary of Green March
- King Mohammed VI personally gets involved to expedite justice to Valérie Rhaba