Caffeine and Skin Cancer Protection
Caffeine may have skin cancer protection properties according to new study.
Wired PR News.com – New research may help validate claims that caffeine contains some skin cancer protection properties. As reported by HealthDay, the effect of caffeine was examined on human skin cells that received ultraviolet radiation exposure, and it was found that caffeine destroyed damaged cells. Dr. Paul Nghiem of the Seattle based University of Washington is quoted in the report as stating, “We have found what we believe to be the mechanism by which caffeine is associated with decreased skin cancer.”
According to the research, caffeine contributes to the self-destruction of damaged cells by interrupting the ATR-Chk1 protein, which is a necessary protein for fast-growing damaged cells. Nghiem is further quoted as stating, “Caffeine more than doubles the number of damaged cells that will die normally after a given dose of UV.” However, the effect should not be a cause for increasing caffeine consumption. Nghiem states, “You are talking a lot of cups for a lot of years for a relatively small effect… But if you like it, it’s another reason to drink it.”
More research is being conducted on topical solutions that contain caffeine to be used in skin cancer prevention. The results of the study were published this week in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology online.
Photo Credit: Julius SchorzmanTags: ATR-Chk, caffeine, cancer, Dermatology, HealthDay, protection, protein, radiation, Seattle, skin, Washington
Online Health & Fitness News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Southern Surgical Arts Recognized as ‘Best of the Best’ Five Years in a Row
- What’s Hot in Cosmetic Surgery? Southern Surgical Arts’ Top 2013 Blogs
- Cosmetic Surgery for Men Keeps Rising: Up 106% from 1997 to 2012.
- Family First Home Companions Opens New Office in Melville, L.I.
- Your Personal Healing Experience Is Here With Laura Mayer
- Bryan’s United Air Conditioning Is Concerned About Air Quality
- First Regional Benefits Has The Medical And Dental Plans You Are Looking For!
- Educating and Treating Athletes with Eating Disorders
- Plano And North Dallas Chiropractor Hires New Licensed Massage Therapist
- Smith Plastic Surgery Institute 2013 Cosmetic Year In Review