Wired PR News – Press Release Distribution :: (13 August 2009) – – Studying music at Standard Grade and Higher may help boost overall exam performance, according to statistics released by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
The Scottish Qualifications Authority have released figures demonstrating a close link between the study of music and achieving good grades at Standard Grade and Higher level, as yet further proof of the importance of learning a musical instrument in the education process.
Of students achieving 8 Standard Grade 1’s or more, 30.4% studied music, compared to an average of 14.9% studying music at Standard Grade level.
The results at Higher level are equally impressive, with 11.1% of students attaining 5 Highers in one sitting having studied music, compared to just 7.6% of all students studying music at Higher level.
Stewart Douglas of Edinburgh Music Lessons (www.edinburghmusiclessons.com), an Edinburgh based private music school offering Edinburgh Guitar Lessons, said the statistics show a correlation between good exam performance and the study of music, and accurately reflected prior research into the educational benefits of learning a musical instrument.
“At both Higher and Standard Grade levels, there is a clear link between achieving really good grades and studying music. Of those students that excel at both levels, a higher than average proportion study music, and it’s no coincidence that the two correlate.”
“We already know learning a musical instrument has a profound impact on achievement in school, but it also helps in developing problem solving skills, spatial awareness and social and confidence skills that stay with us for the rest of our lives.”
To help encourage more people to learn music and benefit from a music education, Edinburgh Music Lessons is currently offer free trial guitar lessons to clients across Edinburgh City Centre – www.edinburghmusiclessons.com/freeguitarlesson
– Edinburgh Music Lessons is a private music school based in Edinburgh City Centre, teaching Guitar Lessons in Edinburgh
– EML offers tuition in all styles of guitar, geared towards helping students pass SQA, RGT and Rockschool performance exams, or alternatively for those that want to learn for fun.
– Offering lessons to clients in their own home for extra convenience, all EML tutors hold full, recent Enhanced Disclosure forms.
– EML is a member of the Registry of Guitar Tutors
– The free guitar lesson giveaway is redeemed through the EML website at www.edinburghmusiclessons.com/freeguitarlesson
0131 614 0085