Mormon church backing gay rights laws
Gay rights legislation in Salt Lake City receives its first ever endorsement by the Mormon church.
Salt Lake City, Utah (WiredPRNews.com) - The passage of gay rights legislation in Salt Lake City, Utah was supported for the first time by the Mormon church. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), the church announced its support of laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in housing and employment prior to a vote on the legislation Tuesday.
Michael Otterson, the director of public affairs for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is quoted by the AP as stating of the measure, “The church supports these ordinances because they are fair and reasonable and do not do violence to the institution of marriage.”
Brandie Balken, gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah director, is further quoted in the report as stating of the action, “What happened here tonight I do believe is a historic event…I think it establishes that we can stand together on common ground that we don’t have to agree on everything, but there are lot of things that we can work on and be allies.”
WiredPRNews.com - The latest in Legal News
Photo Credit: Wikipdia User http://flickr.com/photos/mindonfire/3035642915Tags: Discrimination, Equality Utah, gay rights legislation, Gender, Mormon, Salt Lake City, support, Utah
Online Top Stories News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Classic Car Show at Glenwood Springs Ford Raises $3,000 for YouthZone
- NFM Lending opens new branch in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Making Extra Money Using The Law Of Attraction
- Crowd-Sourced Nissan Titan Is Unleashed in the Alaskan Wilderness
- Alpha Phi At Barry University Welcomes New Chapter Advisor And President
- Daisy Berkowitz Makes a Triumphant Return to NYC
- India Based IT Group Declares For New Local Search Engine For United States
- PearlMountain Runs 50% OFF Summer Promotion for PicGIF and VideoGIF
- New Launch in Singapore: Tre Residences at Geylang
- nexMatrix Announces Distribution Agreement