Port St. Lucie, Florida -Being aware of 4 simple facts about Alzheimer’s Disease can extend the quality of life for patients and caregivers. The Alzheimer Spouse website, www.thealzheimerspouse.com wants to raise awareness of the disease by dispelling the myths of Alzheimer’s Disease. Physicians and the public need to know:
• Alzheimer’s Disease is NOT normal aging. If the doctor dismisses concerns, a neurologist who specializes in Memory Disorders can be found in any area of the country by logging onto www.thealzheimerspouse.com and clicking the “Finding a Memory Disorders Clinic in Your Area” in the resource section on the left.
• Alzheimer’s Disease is NOT simple memory loss. It is a BRAIN DISEASE that destroys every part of the brain – behavior, personality, cognition, comprehension, physical abilities AND memory. It is 100% FATAL. There is NO CURE. There are NO SURVIVORS.
• Alzheimer’s Disease is NOT EXCLUSIVE TO THE ELDERLY. Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease affects men and women UNDER the age of 65, and many in their 40’s and 50’s. It is misdiagnosed as everything from depression, stress, early menopause in women to Attention Deficit Disorder. If you think your loved one has possible dementia, regardless of age, contact a Memory Disorders Specialist for comprehensive testing.
• Aricept and Namenda can help with the symptoms and stabilize the person with Alzheimer’s Disease, for up to 2 years, but they CANNOT CURE IT. THEY CANNOT STOP IT.
• For more information about Alzheimer’s Disease, log onto www.thealzheimerspouse.com, the #1 site on the Internet for education, information, and support for spouses of Alzheimer patients. There are links to information about Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease, informative videos about the nature of Alzheimer’s Disease, Message Boards of support, and much more.