West Palm Beach, Florida (WiredPRNews.com) — Small living areas are quaint, cozy and full of hidden character. The key to decorating small spaces is to maximize every inch of the space. By keeping the area organized and using smart design tips, a small room can be transformed into a fully utilized space.
• Get Rid of the Clutter – Give items that tend to just lie around the room a proper home. Use multi functional furniture, like an ottoman with storage capacity to hide sofa throws or a coffee table with shelving underneath to store monthly magazines. With odds and ends placed neatly away, the room becomes less cramped and evokes a more open atmosphere.
• Look Up – To really get the most out a small space, it is important to take advantage of the height of a room. By hanging curtains higher than just above the top of the window or putting up shelving units for books, it will lead the eye up and give the allusion of a loftier feel. Use hanging light fixtures in lieu of floor lamps to create more floor space.
• Select Size Appropriate Furniture – While an oversized couch and lazy boy chair may seem more appealing at the time of purchase, when placed in a smaller space, it can overwhelm the room and make the space seem like a storage unit. Select pieces of furniture that are practical in the use of the room and place them strategically as to not disrupt the overall flow of the space.
• Select a Light Color Palette – Lighter hues in a monochromatic color scheme are great for small areas because they reflect the light and create a lighter, larger and more open feel.
• Make Sure the Space is Well Lit – Letting in natural light is always important in expanding the look of a cramped space. While natural light is recommended, artificial light will also do the trick to illuminate the darker areas that the natural light won’t reach.
For more home decorating tips and ideas for dorm room decor, please visit www.PioneerLinens.com