Princeton, NJ – “Depression in children or teenagers is often misdiagnosed or ignored,” explains one of the best NJ New psychiatrists Dr. Yitzhak Shnaps. If your child demonstrates more than a couple of the symptoms described below, you should have him or her see a psychiatrist for a depression screening.
• Trouble concentrating, recalling details, and deciding
• Tiredness and reduced energy
• Guilt or thoughts of worthlessness
• Extreme pessimism
• Excessive sleep or insomnia
• Loss of interest in activities or hobbies
• Excessive eating or loss of appetite
• Recurring pains, headaches or digestive distress
• Frequent feelings of sadness or anxiety
• Thoughts of suicide or suicide attempts
“If your child seems depressed, he or she should visit a psychiatrist or other qualified health professional,” says Dr. Shnaps, a child psychiatrist in NJ. “The earlier your child starts treatment, the more effective it’s likely to be.”
“Easy lifestyle changes – such as getting enough sleep, regular exercise, and a healthy diet – can also help,” explains Dr. Shnaps, one of NJ’s top psychiatrists. Professional treatments include:
• Cognitive Behavior Therapy, which addresses negative thought patterns
• Family Therapy, which assists the whole family with identifying and addressing problems within familial relationships.
• Problem-Solving Therapy is a short treatment that concentrates on dealing with a particular situation and feelings about it.
• Medication: Some medicines can be used with childhood depression. But, some medications aren’t as effective for children.
• Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) treats adults when other therapies don’t work, and is sometimes used for older children and teens.
To learn more about New Jersey psychiatrist Dr. Yitzhak Shnaps, visit: www.princetonpsyiatrist.com or call (609) 921-7878 for more information.
About Dr. Yitzhak Shnaps, MD
Yitzhak Shnaps, MD is a graduate of the Hebrew University Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel and performed his Psychiatric Residency and Psychiatric Chief Residency at Albert Einstein Medical College, Bronx, New York.
© 2010 Master Google and Dr. Yitzhak Shnaps. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Dr. Yitzhak Shnaps and Sinai Marketing dba Master Google are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this press release is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.