Doctor accused of trying to prevent homosexuality before birth
08/08/2010 // US // TiffNews10 // News Desk
U.S. – An American doctor has been accused of attempting to prevent homosexuality with the use of an experimental prenatal treatment. As reported by HealthDay News, pediatric endocrinologist and researcher Dr. Maria New of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Florida International University, is at the center of the accusations by medical ethicists who assert her endorsement of the use of dexamethasone for the prevention of the development of congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) may be motivated by a hidden agenda. CAH may cause females to be born with indistinct genitalia.
Alice Dreger, professor of clinical medical humanities and bioethics at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine is quoted in the report as stating of New, “Her main goal has been to prevent ambiguous genitalia and all the things that come with it, including what she calls ‘behavioral masculinization.” New reportedly denies the accusations.
Several medical societies are now reportedly drafting guidelines regarding the use of dexamethasone for CAH set to be published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism in September.
The latest in Medical News
Tags: ambiguous genitalia, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, dexamethasone, journal of clinical endocrinology, mount sinai school of medicine, pediatric endocrinologist, prenatal treatment
Online Press Releases News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Martinsburg WV Entrepreneur Seeks Funding For Community Website
- Agencies should understand what Social Analytics mean to their Business Clients
- StyleIt Launches New Shopping Feature to Free App Creating Stylish Looks
- Butterfly Pavilion Chooses AlphaGraphics As Sole Printing Partner
- NFM Lending Named a 2014 Top Workplace
- New 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Roars Toward Dealerships
- Toyota Prius c and v Ramp Up Their Styling and Technology for 2015
- All-New Cadillac ATS-V Takes Aim at High-Performance German Cars
- 2015 Lexus RC Coupe Arrives to Heat Up the Holiday Season
- Ford Explorer’s EcoBoost Evolution Continues with Refreshed 2016 Model