Who Qualifies as an “Employer” Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, prohibits an employer from discriminating against an employee based on the employee’s race, color, national origin, gender, or religion. But not every person or entity that employs workers qualifies as an employer under the statute and thus not every entity is bound by its standards.
With a couple of exceptions, Title VII defines an “employer” as a person engaged in an industry affecting commerce who has fifteen or more employees for each working day in each of twenty or more calendar weeks in the current or preceding calendar year and any agent of such a person. Often, small businesses do not meet this threshold level. If a small business does not employ the requisite fifteen employees during the time periods identified in the statute, the employer cannot be held liable under the statute for conduct that might otherwise be viewed as a violation.
To speak to a Dallas, Texas employment law attorney about workplace discrimination and how to prevent it, contact the Texas employment lawyers at Clouse Dunn Khoshbin LLP at [email protected]. The employment attorneys at Clouse Dunn Khoshbin LLP regularly advise businesses and individuals about employment discrimination.
Press Release Contact Information:
KEITH A. CLOUSE
214.220.3833 ( fax)
Online Law News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Simplified: The Purple One’s Yours.
- Opinion: Granting Lawsuit Immunity Erodes Fundamental Rights
- Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Antitrust Whistleblower Bill
- Life Care Plans and Medical Cost Projections for Motor Vehicle Accident Injury
- When a Truck Accident Claims the Life of a Loved One
- Attorney Brian Eberstein Explains: What is a Truck Underride Accident?
- Truck Accidents Involving Children
- Life Care Planning Experts Maximize the Life Quality for the Seriously Injured
- Five Things Every Texas Driver Should Know About State Highway Safety Laws
- Why Choose a Life Care a Planner Who is also a Qualified Physician?