02/17/2012 // Denver, Colorado, United States // FrankieCervantes // Eating Disorder Center of Denver
The Eating Disorder Center of Denver (EDCD), a Colorado-based eating disorder treatment facility, is thrilled to partner with the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) in promotion of their 25th Annual Eating Disorder Awareness Week (February 26-March 3) themed “Everybody Knows Somebody”.
According to NEDA statistics, as many as 10 million females and 1 million males in the U.S. are battling with anorexia or bulimia. And at least 15 million more struggle with binge eating disorder. “Over the past few years, the prevalence of binge eating disorder has increased on college campuses,” says Christina Bokenkamp, outpatient therapist at EDCD. “One focus of our outreach during Eating Disorder Awareness Week is to share education, prevention, awareness about binge eating and anorexia and bulimia.”
“It’s our duty as professionals to help educate the public about the behaviors that shape eating disorder illnesses. The public needs to know that there are solutions to the challenging thoughts surrounding food and food behaviors,” says Dr. Tamara Pryor, EDCD clinical director.
The Eating Disorder Center of Denver plans to participate in a variety of community events during NEDAwareness week, including informative lectures, presentations and health fairs at statewide college campuses. EDCD will have printed literature available for students and faculty at on-campus booths. There will also be a henna tattoo artist at most locations and a large scale depicting positive keyword messaging. Students will be asked, when getting a henna tattoo, to write an affirmation and share their thoughts on social media networks. The public can follow and connect with EDCD activities using the following Twitter hashtag, #edcdawareness.
Join the Eating Disorder of Denver at these events during the National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (February 26 – March 3):
• Monday, February 27, at University of Northern Colorado Mind and Body Fair, 10:30a.m. – 1p.m. in the University Center
• Tuesday, February 28, at University of Wyoming (Union Family Room, 11:30a.m. – 1p.m.), “What are you Buying: Body Image and the Media”
• Wednesday, February 29, at CU-Denver, Eating Disorder Awareness Fair, MultiCultural Lounge in the Tivoli Student Union, 11a.m.- 2p.m.
• Wednesday, February 29, with Beyond the Mirror, at 1031 Robertson Street, Fort Collins, Colorado at 5:30p.m., “Eating Disorders and Borderline Personality Disorder” with Dr. Tamara Pryor, clinical director at Eating Disorder Center of Denver
• Thursday, March 1, at CU-Denver, the Roger Braun Lounge, 12p.m. – 1:45p.m. with Dr. Felicia Greher, EDCD Therapist. “EveryBODY knows SomeBODY with Eating and Body Image Struggles. What you Need to Know and What you Can Do.”
• Friday, March 2, at Colorado School of Mines, Wellness Day Booth and Information Sharing, Student Center, 10:30a.m. – 1:30p.m.
About Eating Disorder Center of Denver
Established in 2001, Eating Disorder Center of Denver (EDCD) is one of the nation’s foremost centers for the diagnosis and treatment of the full range of eating disorders. EDCD is committed to empowering individuals 18 years of age and older suffering with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating and related disorders to help them achieve and sustain recovery. A multidisciplinary team of board-certified psychiatrists, physicians, clinicians, family therapists and registered dietitians work together to create a specialized, evidence-based treatment plan for each patient. For additional information about EDCD, check out our website, www.edcdenver.com, visit us on Facebook, and/or follow us on Twitter (@EDCDenver).
Social Media Tags:eating disorder, eating disorder treatment, anorexia treatment, bulimia treatment, binge eating, anorexia, bulimia
Newsroom powered by Online Press Release Distribution – SubmitMyPressRelease.com