Texas Employment Law Issue: Withholding an Employee’s Final Paycheck
Unfortunately, when an employer fires an employee, not all loose ends can be addressed at the termination meeting. So, can an employer withhold the terminated employee’s final paycheck until the employee addresses the employer’s concerns? For example, can an employer tell the terminated employee that she will get her final paycheck if and when she delivers her company-issued tool belt and pays for the damage she caused to a company-owned truck?
“No,” according to Dallas, Texas employment lawyer Keith Clouse; an employer cannot condition the receipt of an employee’s final paycheck on the employee’s completion of certain requirements. Instead, in most situations, Texas law requires an employer who fired an employee to pay the employee within six calendar days after the employee’s termination. Failure to do so could result in the employee taking legal action against the employer.
While an employer cannot withhold an employee’s final paycheck, in some situations, an employer and an employee can agree in writing that certain expenses will be deducted from the employee’s final paycheck. If such an agreement exists and it complies with the applicable requirements, then the employer may deduct money from the employee’s final paycheck to cover those expenses.
To speak to Mr. Clouse about handling the termination of an employee or about another employment law issue, please contact him and the Dallas, Texas employment lawyers at Clouse Dunn LLP via email at [email protected] or telephone at 214 220 3888.
Press Release Contact Information:
KEITH A. CLOUSE
Clouse Dunn LLP
214.220.3833 ( fax)
Online Law News Press Release Distribution - WiredPRNews.com
- Dallas Personal Injury Lawyer Recognized by Local News for Community Dedication
- Recognizing the Signs of Age Discrimination in the Workplace
- Simplified: The Purple One’s Yours.
- Opinion: Granting Lawsuit Immunity Erodes Fundamental Rights
- Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Antitrust Whistleblower Bill
- Life Care Plans and Medical Cost Projections for Motor Vehicle Accident Injury
- When a Truck Accident Claims the Life of a Loved One
- Attorney Brian Eberstein Explains: What is a Truck Underride Accident?
- Truck Accidents Involving Children
- Life Care Planning Experts Maximize the Life Quality for the Seriously Injured