10/11/2010 // US // TiffNews10 // News Desk
U.S. – As Halloween draws near, some experts are cautioning families about keeping tasty chocolate candy and other Halloween treats away from their beloved pets. As reported by HealthDay News, one expert asserts that when consumed by dogs and other pets, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and other serious health complications or even lead to death.
Susan Nelson, a Kansas State University veterinarian, is quoted in the report as stating of the matter, “Chocolate consumption is a very common problem among pets, dogs especially… It is important to recognize that individual reactions vary by pets, but it is best to assume your pet is one of the sensitive ones and not delay in seeking advice from your veterinarian. Be aware of the chocolate sources in your house, and tell any new dog owner about this potential threat to their pet.”
The latest in Pet Health News
Photo Credit: Wikipedia User Toby Ord