The joint document warns of the growing “evidence” of forced labor and the challenges of due diligence.
The United States has warned that companies doing business in Xinjiang are at greater risk, accusing Beijing of “continuing” genocide“And“ crimes against humanity ”against Uighurs and especially ethnic minorities of Muslims, warning companies can prosecute them under U.S. law.
In an updated business advisory released Tuesday, the U.S. said there is “growing evidence” of forced labor, as well as “intrusive” human rights violations and surveillance.
“Given the severity and extent of these abuses, businesses and individuals who do not exit supply chains, businesses and / or Xinjiang-related investments may be at high risk of violating U.S. law,” said the State Department of the Treasury, Commerce Department, Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Labor and the U.S. Trade Representative’s Office also signed the advisory agreement for the first time.
According to the United Nations, there have been at least one million people in a network of education camps in the far-western region in recent years, Beijing says are professional skills training centers. necessary to deal with the “extreme”.
Investigators have also documented other abuses, such as compulsory sterilization, the demolition of mosques, the removal of Muslim cemeteries and the separation of families. Amnesty International last month accused China of “creation”the dystopian landscape of hell“Xinjiangen.
The advice says that those who want to do business in Xinjiang should be vigilant with the development of surveillance tools in the face of potential risks, related to the supply of goods and labor from Xinjiang or other supply chains in China. They offer US products including software. construction or operation of surrounding internment centers or factories.
“The United States will continue to promote accountability for the PRC’s atrocities and other abuses through a government-wide effort and in close coordination with the private sector and our allies and partners.” Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a statement.
The adviser noted the lack of transparency, but urged companies to take “increased” due diligence, warning that those found at risk were prosecuted – even indirectly – for protecting the Chinese government’s care system in the region or providing financial assistance to companies. related to human rights violations.
He added that companies with potential investments and business operations should take a “responsible divestment”.
The U.S. has already listed several Chinese companies for their operations in Xinjiang, as well as imposed sanctions on key officials for alleged rights violations.
At least 10 other Chinese companies are expected has been added to the blacklist this week.
The US released Xinjiang Supply Chain Business Consulting in July last year.