Showtime Boxing is ready for a big summer. After a few minor fights to start the year, including the return of Adrien Broner, Showtime and the Premier Boxing Champions have set a schedule that includes nine fight cards from May 15 to September 11. The cards stand out as a result of the return of the Charlo brothers and Gervonta “Tank” Davis, who were promoted to two weight levels for the title.
The action begins with Luis Nery defending his WBC super bantamweight crown against Brandon Figueroa on May 15th. Then, in June, Jermall Charlo seeks to defend his WBC middleweight crown Juan Macias Montiel in his hometown of Houston. A week later, Davis lifted 140 pounds to Mario Barrio for WBA junior welterweight and three-time world champion.
“Significant and significant fights are among the biggest names in bright martial arts and the brightest stars. That’s what Showtime promises and that’s what we’re delivering,” Showtime Sports President Stephen Espinoza said in a statement. “With the chance to crown the undisputed world champion in 154, combining the highly anticipated bantamweight title, a paid show and more than a dozen 118-168-pound fights, Showtime presents the best young boxing fighters. “The caliber and volume of this schedule – the deepest and most consistent of any network or platform – demonstrates our commitment to the sport.
In July, things heat up quickly as Jermell Carlo takes on Brian Castano for three of the four world titles recognized in the junior middleweight division. The two brothers put on a great show last year with a PPV card titled, each of which saw them make a huge profit.
Can’t get enough boxing and MMA? Get two of the best deals in the newest world of combat sports. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for in-depth analysis and news.
The following is a summary of the full schedule:
- Main event: Luis Nery (c) vs. Brandon Figueroa – WBC super bantamweight title
- Characteristics: Danny Roman Vs. Ricardo Espinoza Franco, super bantamweights; Xavier Martinez (c) vs. Abraham Montoya, WBA ssuper featherweight title
- Main event: Nordine Oubaali (c) vs. Nonito Donaire, WBC weight bantam title
- Co-feature: Subriel Matias Vs. Batyrzhan Jukembayev, A super lightweight IBF title eliminator
- Main event: Jermall Charlo (c) vs. Juan Macias Montiel, WBC middleweight title
June 26 (PPV)
- Main event: Mario Barrios (c) vs. Gervonta Davis, WBA junior welterweight
- Characteristics: Erickson Lubin vs Jeison Rosario, WBC junior middleweight title eliminator
- Main event: Chris Colbert Vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa, WBA super featherweight provisional title
- Main event: Jermell Charlo (c) vs Brian Castaño (c), Undoubtedly a combination of an IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO junior middleweight title
- The main event: John Riel Casimero (c) vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux, WBO weightlifting title
- Main event: David Benavidez vs. Jose Uzcategui, WBC ssuper middleweight title eliminator
- Stephen Fulton, Jr. vs. Winner of Nery-Figueroa, unifying the super heavyweight title